Sunday, July 31, 2011

Basic Training

A wise man once told me, "There are 20,000 different ways to workout, and 18,000 of them are correct." I believe this to be true. Though I think that the way I am designing workouts for my athletes at this moment is the absolute best way to train, taking into all of the considerations which determine the logistics and realities of my situation, if I learn something new that can help us I will use it.

That being said, there are so many different ways to go about designing a training program, and so many of them are "correct". There has to be a common thread. To me, its really quite simple.

Get Strong. Get Powerful. Get in Condition.

Further simplifying this, to get strong; move heavy things. To get powerful; move slightly lighter things fast. To get in condition; define what "in shape" is for your setting, and work mostly within those energy systems.

Ok, ok, these are just the basics. There are many other area's of training that make up performance. Nutrition, Recovery, Movement, Core Training, etc. etc.

I think most of these can really be pretty simple as well.

Nutrition: Eat real food. Smaller amounts. More often.
Recovery: Be consistent. I don't care what your "tool of choice" is, just do it consistently.
Movement: Joint by Joint. Ground Reaction Force.
Core Training: Stablize the spine.

If your program takes care of these things, you have taken care of basic training.

No comments:

Post a Comment